He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began. ~Leo Tolstoy

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Self-Publishing is only half the battle. Or maybe even less. Some kind of fraction or percent? IDK, math was never my thing.

It's strange to think that after putting SO much time and work into writing a whole novel that you're only half-done once you type The End.

Marketing. That's a whole other ballgame. You've kicked your book into the vast ocean of Amazon and then you have to teach it to swim. Granted, I tried to get some marketing tools in place before I published. I culled a group of advance readers for reviews, built a new Twitter, Facebook and blog (this one) but all of those require marketing tools in order to build an audience too.

This then, is the pitfall of my choosing to self-publish: the business aspect. I don't want to market or promote or Tweet a million times a day. I'm proud of the book but I want to write. That's what I do.

On the other hand, there is NO point in going to the trouble of writing a book you want people to read and then not do the work to make sure that they can find it. So it will take a judicious planning on my part as NaNoWriMo is two days away and I want to start the next book, market this one, and not neglect my kids or home.

But the silver lining is that as far as marketing strategies go, having more than one book out is a biggie. So I can do what I want to do and it counts toward support for this one! WIN!

So here's where you can find my first born, in the literary sense. Enjoy!
Love Beyond Words




No comments:

Post a Comment